According to the Guardian newspaper, “Wherever you are in the world, visiting a bookshop is always a treat – but with their numbers dwindling, independent stores that offer something unique are increasingly becoming a destination in themselves.”
So, here is a list of the ten best independent bookstores in the world (based on their reader recommendations).
1. Powell’s City of Books (Portland, Oregon, USA)
2. Acqua Alta (Venice, Italy)
3. El Ataneo (Buenas Aires, Argentina)
4. City Lights Books (San Francisco, California, USA)
5. Shakespeare and Company (Paris, France)
6. Strand (New York, New York, USA)
7. Wild Rumpus (Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA)
8. Mr. B’s Emporium of Reading Delights (Bath, UK)
9. Word on the Water (London, UK)
10. Bookshops on Four Wheels (Argentina and Belgium)
Check out the full story here.
Tulsa had a wonderful independent bookstore for years: the Lewis Meyer Bookstore . . . alas, it is no more. A bygone era . . . Lewis Meyer even had his own radio program (which ran for 42 years: The Lewis Meyer Bookshelf).