While I prefer baking cheesecakes, I have been known to bake the occasional crusted fruit pie as well. For those of you who are less familiar with fruit pies (with pastry crusts), here are the “seven habits of highly successful fruit pies” (courtesy of the book How to Break an Egg).
- Use a metal pan
- Use a template to cut nicely round dough circles
- Always add a pinch of salt to your fruit fillings
- Don’t overfill the pie
- Chill the filled pie for twenty (20) minutes before baking
- Watch the bubbles to see when the pie’s done
- Cool the pie completely before slicing
Source: How to Break an Egg by the editors, contributors, and readers of Fine Cooking magazine, p. 212.