For all of you garlic-lovers out there, here are some easy tips and tricks to help you work with garlic.
- To peel with ease. . .
- pour hot water over the cloves and whisk, drain water, and peel with a paring knife.
- use a rubber jar grip (roll cloves inside) or kitchen gloves
- hit the clove with a brick (or similar heavy object)
- microwave on high for about 10 seconds
- blanch in boiling water for about 15 seconds
- smash with chef’s knife and place in bowl of cold water
- wet your fingers before peeling
- Other tips . . .
- grate garlic (create a puree)
- using a cheese grater is quicker than mincing
- mince using a food processor
- salt will prevent garlic from sticking to your knife
- for thin slices, use a truffle slicer
- add lemon juice and salt to marinade (mellows the taste)
- cold water and stainless steel will remove odor from hands
- washing hands with lemon juice and salt will remove odor as well
Source: How to Cook an Egg by the editors, contributors, and readers of Fine Cooking magazine, p. 115-120.