I tried a new recipe this week and discovered that it is a keeper! You start with an Oreo crust and then your basic cheesecake batter with maraschino cherries and mini chocolate chips. Heavenly — and super easy!
Chocolate Chip Cherry Cheesecake
24 Oreo cookies, crushed
6 Tablespoons of butter, melted
1 jar (12 ounces) maraschino cherries
2 packages cream cheese (8 ounces each), softened
1/2 cup of sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup of mini-chocolate chips
extra chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon of pure vegetable shortening
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cookie crumbs and butter; press onto bottom and 2 inches up side of 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
2. Drain the maraschino cherries (reserve 2 teaspoons of the juice). Cut the cherries into quarters and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, and reserved cherry juice until smooth. Add eggs and beat just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
4. Pour into your crust and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
5. Prior to serving, remove the sides and bottom of the springform pan. Slice the cheesecake. Microwave chocolate chips and vegetable shortening until melted. Drizzle chocolate over the top of slice and serve.