Here is an interesting recipe that I ran across that involves making a cheesecake in your slow cooker. I don’t own a slow cooker (and will probably not rush right out to get one either), so I will have to rely on someone to let me know how this recipe turns out.
3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon of sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2-1/2 Tablespoons of butter, melted
2 packages (8 ounces each) of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 to 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 Tablespoon of shortening
Toasted sliced almonds
1. Grease a 6-inch springform pan. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 12″ square) and wrap securely around your pan.
2. Pour 1-inch of water into a six -quart slow cooker. Layer two 24-inch pieces of aluminum foil. Starting with the long side, roll up the foil to make a 1-inch wide strip and shape into a circle. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker to create a rack.
3. In a small bowl, mix the graham crumbs, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, and the cinnamon; stir in the melted butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
4. In a large bowl beat the cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Add the eggs and beat on low speed until combined. Pour into the crust.
5. Place the springform pan on the foil circle without touching the sides of the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker with a double layer of paper towels. Place the lid securely over the towels and cook, covered, on high for two hours.
6. Do not remove the lid, but turn off the slow cooker and let the cheesecake stand, covered, in the slow cooker for an additional hour.
7. Remove the springform pan from the slow cooker and remove the foil from around the pan. Cool the cheesecake on a wire rack for one hour longer. Loosen the sides of the pan with a knife. Refrigerate overnight (cover once it is completely cooled).
8. For the topping, microwave the chocolate and the shortening and stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Remove the pan and pour the chocolate over the top of the cheesecake. Sprinkle the almonds on top of the chocolate.