In the July /August issue of the AARP Bulletin, several experts offer tips and tricks that will help you save money in a variety of categories: travel, technology, home, finance, style, food, fun, getting there, health, and entertainment. Part 1 will be the travel category (tips courtesy of Samantha Brown [AARP travel expert] and Rick Stevens [European guidebook author and TV travel show host]).
- Choose a destination based on its “restaurant week.”
- Be a house sitter (TrustedHousesitter.com).
- Last minute deals (app HotelTonight)
- Update your documents (valid passport for at least six months past travel).
- Don’t pay for pricey massages on the road.
- Travel with peanut butter (but, it counts as a carry-on liquid).
- Buy second-class train seats.
- Get cash overseas at ATMs.
- Check for last-minute deals at business hotels.
- Get your rental car in town (as opposed to the airport or train station).
- Use local cash.
- Go carless in urban centers.
Source: AARP Bulletin, July/August 2016, p. 21-22