In the July /August issue of the AARP Bulletin, several experts offer tips and tricks that will help you save money in a variety of categories: travel, technology, home, finance, style, food, fun, getting there, health, and entertainment. Part 4 will be the finance category (tips courtesy of Farnoosh Torabi [host of podcast So Money] and Jane Bryant Quinn [AARP financial columnist]).
30. Reduce your auto insurance.
31. Buy more to spend less on life insurance (price bands).
32. Ask for discounts from monthly billers (call customer retention).
33. Take advantage of credit card perks.
34. Say yes (email promotions).
35. Don’t put college tuition on a credit card.
36. Buy like a man (i.e., razors and shampoo — feminine brand, paying for packaging).
37. Shop every year for a new Medicare Part D drug insurance plan.
38. Check the unclaimed property sites (naupa.org).
39. Don’t buy your bank’s overdraft-protection plan.
Source: AARP Bulletin, July/August 2016, p. 23.