In the July /August issue of the AARP Bulletin, several experts offer tips and tricks that will help you save money in a variety of categories: travel, technology, home, finance, style, food, fun, getting there (auto), health, and entertainment. Part 8 will be the getting there (auto) category (tips courtesy of Jack Gillis [author The Car Book], and Phillip Reed [auto expert at NerdWallet]).
71. Keep car transactions separate (price for new, selling trade, arranging financing).
72. Negotiate up from the invoice rather than down from the sticker.
73. Avoid extras when buying a new car.
74. Base tire purchases on the government’s tire-rating system.
75. Check your air filter.
76. Check your alignment.
77. Check your gas cap (loose or missing?).
78. Avoid service contracts or extended warranties.
79. Time your shopping.
80. Skip the expensive brand (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura).
81. Don’t change good oil.
Source: AARP Bulletin, July/August 2016, p. 27-28.