In the July /August issue of the AARP Bulletin, several experts offer tips and tricks that will help you save money in a variety of categories: travel, technology, home, finance, style, food, fun, getting there (auto), health, and entertainment. Part 9 will be the health category (tips courtesy of Charlotte Yeh [Chief medical officer, AARP Services, Inc.], Amy Goyer [AARP caregiving expert], and Karen Pollitz [senior fellow, Kaiser Family Foundation]).
82. Free advance directives.
83. Check your hearing using your landline phone.
84. A respite for veterans’ caretakers (caregiver.org).
85. Get some volunteer help.
86. Try a “granny pod” rather than building an addition.
87. Check with Medicare before buying health equipment.
88. Widen doorways for less (offset door hinges).
89. Need a ramp for curbs or stairs? (Suitcase ramp.)
90. Get help in disputes (right to appeal health claims).
Source: AARP Bulletin, July/August 2016, p. 28.