Are you in a quandry over which applications to download to your SmartPhone? I’ve had an iPhone for a couple of years now and I still am not utilizing the phone to its full potential, but I’m slowly adding more apps as I find ones that interest me. And, depending on your interests, you can find a SmartPhone application for just about anything these days, and quite a few of them will cost you nothing. That’s right, they are app-solutely free! Here are a few web sites that you can visit (geared toward iPhone apps) to help you review/evaluate which apps you’d like to acquire.
Here are some fun apps that I have run across (from a variety of categories) to get you started (A = Android, B = Blackberry, I = iPhone); and, if you have never downloaded an app before, it’s quite easy . . . and of course, don’t forget about your social networking sites (facebook, LinkedIn, WordPress, etc.).
- Go to your app store.
- Select the app you want.
- Click “download.”
- Enter your name and/or password (if prompted).
Personal Organization & Finance
1. Evernote: searchable organizer (ABI)
2. Mint.com: personal money manager (AI)
3. Red Laser: barcode scanner (AI)
4. Pushpins: grocery coupons, list manager (AI)
5. CNET reviews: tech product reviews (AI)
6. Groupon: daily local discounts (ABI)
7. ESPN ScoreCenter: live sports scores/news (AI)
8. ClearPaintingFree: art tablet (I)
9. RedStamp: paper and e-card stationery (I)
10. Flixster: movie and theater locations (ABI)
11. Spotify: music streaming (ABI)
12. OpenTable: restaurant reservations (ABI)
13. Foodspotting: restaurant recommendations (ABI)
14. Epicurious: recipes and reviews
Health & Fitness
15. MyFitnessPal: calorie, exercise, weight tracker (ABI)
16. Endomondo Sports Tracker: GPS route tracker (ABI)
17. Instant Heart Rate: heart-rate monitor (AI)
18. WebMD: symptom checker, health info (AI)
19. Words With Friends Free: Scrabble-style crosswords (AI)
20. Magic Piano: instrument game (I)
21. Angry Birds: slingshot game (AI)
22. TED: lectures by the world’s leading thinkers (AI)
23. Fotopedia Heritage: UNESCO World Heritage Sites (I)
24. Kindle: reader for Kindle books (ABI)
25. Kayak: travel site comparisons (ABI)
26. Yelp: local businesses and reviews (ABI)
27. Google Translate: 60-language voice translator (AI)
28. SitorSquat: public restroom locator (ABI)
29. Skype: videoconferencing (ABI)
30. Bump: phone-to-phone info and app sharing (ABI)
31. HeyTell: walkie-talkie (AI)
32. The Weather Channel: forecasts (ABI)
33. BuddyGuard: emergency signaler (ABI)
34. Fast Customer: direct lines to customer service reps (AI)
This is really just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There are many, many more apps available to you (some are free and some will cost you). From the iPhone App Store, you have the option to browse the “featured” apps, browse by predefined categories, or browse the “Top 25” apps; and when all else fails, you can “search.”
What are some of your favorite apps?