In the July /August issue of the AARP Bulletin, several experts offer tips and tricks that will help you save money in a variety of categories: travel, technology, home, finance, style, food, fun, getting there, health, and entertainment. Part 5 will be the style category (tips courtesy of Lois Joy Johnson [AARP beauty, fashion, and style expert], Dan Chizzoniti [publisher of Realguyswearties], and Marissa Stephenson [senior editor Men’s Journal]).
40. Do-it-yourself blemish-balm cream (dab of foundation + dab of daily moisterizer).
41. go natural on manicures (mix 1 T hydrogen peroxide + 2 T baking soda, let sit, wipe off, buff).
42. Let dry shampoo do many jobs.
43. Choose suede (instead of leather).
44. Go longer between hair coloring appointments.
45. Rescue stinky shoes (scented dryer sheets).
46. Shop in July or January.
47. Check prices after you buy (retailer will refund, if on sale later).
48. Buy clothes through online airline miles programs or rebate sites.
49. Use double-duty grooming products.
50. Use shampoo sparingly.
51. Buy better quality clothes.
52. Stay neutral.
Source: AARP Bulletin, July/August 2016, p. 23, 26.